What is Ether?
Sanny
2008-04-20 14:20:23 UTC
Ether is something present everywhere

Ether is the medium on which Light Travels.

What is refractive index of Ether?

If Ether is present everywhere What is it made up of.

IS Ether filling the Gap between Nuclie & Electrons?

Is Ether Mass Less

Does Ether has a Volume

When a Mass moves arround Ether does Ether produce any Resistance

Is it simmilar to the Water in Ocean Or Air on Earth So that the
Fishes cannot feel the Water and we Cannot see the Air though it is
present every where?

Is Ether also present in Vaccume.

What are the Laws that say Ether Exists.

And Which Laws say Ether do not Exist.

Is there any Experiment to show Ether is present in World.

If Ether is removed from a place will the Light Stop. Just Like Sound
travels from medium. But Sound do not travel in Vaccum. Simmilarly
will the Light Stop when Ether is not Present?

Bye
Sanny

Extreme Discussions at: http://www.getclub.com/Discussion.php
Robert J. Kolker
2008-04-20 14:51:35 UTC
Post by Sanny
Ether is something present everywhere
There is no aether.
Post by Sanny
Ether is the medium on which Light Travels.
Photons travel through empty space. No medium is necessary.

Bob Kolker
Paul Mays
2008-04-20 15:42:25 UTC
Post by Sanny
Ether is the medium on which Light Travels.
Photons travel through empty space. No medium is necessary.
Bob Kolker
And the Earth is at the center of the Universe..

--
http://fast.filespace.org/PaulRMays/Postulate.pdf

--
Paul R. Mays
"I Believe in Nothing, I Know, I think I Know or I Do Not Know
I Never Believe... For to Believe is a Religious Incantation"
Robert J. Kolker
2008-04-20 20:32:25 UTC
Post by Paul Mays
And the Earth is at the center of the Universe..
Every point in the universe is at the center of the universe.

Look at the surface of a sphere. Which point upon it is the center of
the surface of the sphere. Every point.

Bob Kolker
Paul Mays
2008-04-20 20:57:17 UTC
Post by Robert J. Kolker
Post by Paul Mays
And the Earth is at the center of the Universe..
Every point in the universe is at the center of the universe.
Look at the surface of a sphere. Which point upon it is the center of
the surface of the sphere. Every point.
Bob Kolker
But there is a Center to the Sphere.. Not directly percievable by an
observer
within the Sphere... Now you address Intrinsic Bias and didn't even know
it......

tadchem
2008-04-21 01:40:49 UTC
Post by Paul Mays
Post by Robert J. Kolker
Post by Paul Mays
And the Earth is at the center of the Universe..
Every point in the universe is at the center of the universe.
Look at the surface of a sphere. Which point upon it is the center of
the surface of the sphere. Every point.
Bob Kolker
But there is a Center to the Sphere.. Not directly percievable by an
observer
within the Sphere... Now you address Intrinsic Bias and didn't even know
it......
--http://fast.filespace.org/PaulRMays/Postulate.pdf
--
Paul R. Mays
"I Believe in Nothing, I Know, I think I Know or I Do Not Know
I Never Believe... For to Believe is a Religious Incantation"
The 4-dimensional space-time coordinates of the Center of the Universe
are, approximately, Here(x), Here(y), Here(z), and 13.5GYa(t).

Tom Davidson
Richmond, VA
Tom Roberts
2008-04-20 15:24:03 UTC
Post by Sanny
Ether is something present everywhere
Ether is the medium on which Light Travels.
Those are aspects of ether that the ancient (pre 1905) ether theories
had. Modern attempts at ether theories usually have them. The second is
the defining characteristic of ether, so it is true in all ether theories.
Post by Sanny
What is refractive index of Ether?
If Ether is present everywhere What is it made up of.
No ether theory has ever said what it is, other than saying "ether"
(which is of course no explanation at all). Refractive index does not
apply to the ether of any ether theory with which I am familiar.
Post by Sanny
IS Ether filling the Gap between Nuclie & Electrons?
It must be, if light is truly an electromagnetic phenomena and if the
atomic theory is valid. Note that these two statements are among the
best-tested statements in science. Note that particulate ether advocates
would say that there is ether present, but it is not "filling" that gap.
Post by Sanny
What are the Laws that say Ether Exists.
And Which Laws say Ether do not Exist.
There are no relevant "laws". Rather there are models of the world, some
of which include ether and some of which don't. To date, the models that
include ether do not have any direct experimental support for the notion
that ether exists (i.e. nobody has ever isolated the ether and measured
ANY property of it). The best model we have today do not include any
ether: QED. It also has a wider domain of applicability than the current
best ether theories -- it "just so happens" that the best ether theories
are experimentally indistinguishable from classical electrodynamics
(which includes SR), which makes it completely impossible to find any
experimental support for the existence of their ether. In addition, to
date nobody has explained any quantum phenomena with ether, which is a
BIG reason why such theories are not studied actively by mainstream
scientists. There are a handful of ether advocates today who press on
trying to develop an ether theory that meets modern standards, but to
date none of them have been successful in convincing the physics
community of anything.
Post by Sanny
Is there any Experiment to show Ether is present in World.
No.
Post by Sanny
If Ether is removed from a place will the Light Stop.
In most if not all ether theories it is impossible to "remove" the ether
form any place.

One aspect of most ether theories that makes them extremely difficult
for physicists to consider is the fact that their advocates have almost
no knowledge of modern theoretical or experimental physics, and they
consequently write enormous amounts of nonsense. There are one or two
exceptions to this, but for the most part ether advocates are hopelessly
naive.

Tom Roberts
xxein
xxein: Show me gravity in QED.
Yousuf Khan
2008-04-21 01:02:13 UTC
Post by Sanny
If Ether is removed from a place will the Light Stop.
In most if not all ether theories it is impossible to "remove" the ether
form any place.
One aspect of most ether theories that makes them extremely difficult
for physicists to consider is the fact that their advocates have almost
no knowledge of modern theoretical or experimental physics, and they
consequently write enormous amounts of nonsense. There are one or two
exceptions to this, but for the most part ether advocates are hopelessly
naive.
For the vast majority of aether proponents, yes, that's an accurate
description, they do seem to be on the kooky side. But I doubt you can
say the same thing about Dr Hong Sheng Zhao, of the University of St.
Andrews. He's proposing a theory to unite Dark Matter and Energy into
one phenomenon known as Dark Fluid. His Dark Fluid would be a form of
energy that fills the Universe, acting like Dark Matter at the galactic
scales, and like Dark Energy at the cosmological scales. Dark Fluid
sounds suspiciously like Aether by another name.

Dark Matter and Dark Energy | Scientific Blogging
"The Swiss astronomer Fritz Zwicky is credited with the 1933 observation
that the universe and galaxies are held together by the gravitational
attraction of a huge amount of unseen material, now referred to as dark
matter, dark energy and dark fluid. But, the history of the aether goes
back many centuries before Zwicky. From the advent of Einstein’s Theory
of Relatively to Zwicky’s observation, not quite a generation later, the
aether seems to have been banned form scientific conversation, now it is
back but none dare call it the aether."
http://www.scientificblogging.com/recreational_number_theory/dark_matter_and_dark_energy

Yousuf Khan
Paul Mays

Igor
2008-04-20 15:41:22 UTC
Ether is a flammable hydrocarbon gas.
Paul Mays
2008-04-20 16:57:44 UTC
Post by Igor
Ether is a flammable hydrocarbon gas.
Why didn't I say That.... Good catch..

Aether is sumthin altogether different..

Ptrezby
2008-04-20 17:56:02 UTC
Post by Paul Mays
Post by Igor
Ether is a flammable hydrocarbon gas.
Why didn't I say That.... Good catch..
You didn't say that because you knew that ether contains oxygen in the
molecule and therefore is not a hydrocarbon. And you knew that it may or may
not be a gas, depending on ambient conditions.
Paul Mays
2008-04-20 18:02:27 UTC

Post by Ptrezby
Post by Paul Mays
Post by Igor
Ether is a flammable hydrocarbon gas.
Why didn't I say That.... Good catch..
You didn't say that because you knew that ether contains oxygen in the
molecule and therefore is not a hydrocarbon. And you knew that it may or may
not be a gas, depending on ambient conditions.
Well yea..theres that too. I did also know that but wasn't being picky as
the concept was the meaty part.
Igor
For some reason I was thinking of ethane, rather than ether.
tadchem
2008-04-21 01:48:28 UTC
Post by Ptrezby
Post by Paul Mays
Aether is sumthin altogether different..
--
http://fast.filespace.org/PaulRMays/Postulate.pdf
--
Paul R. Mays
"I Believe in Nothing, I Know, I think I Know or I Do Not Know
I Never Believe... For to Believe is a Religious Incantation"
"Petroleum ether" is a mixture of volatile hydrocarbons, usually
prepared by distillation from crude oil at temperatures from 20° C to
75° C -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_ether

In general "ether" applies to a class of carbon compounds in which two
carbon atoms are connected by a single oxygen atom -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ether
Note the definition in Wiki suggests that the alkyl or aryl groups are
substituted. This is not necessarily the case. The simplest ether is
dimethyl ether, in which neither alkyl group has substitutents.

Tom Davidson
Richmond, VA
Uncle Al
2008-04-20 20:09:20 UTC
Post by Sanny
Ether is something present everywhere
[snip rest of crap]

1) Et2O isn't.
2) Neither is the other crap,

http://arXiv.org/abs/0706.2031
Physics Today 57(7) 40 (2004)
http://physicstoday.org/vol-57/iss-7/p40.shtml
<http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/Walsworth/pdf/PT_Romalis0704.pdf>
No aether

http://fsweb.berry.edu/academic/mans/clane/
http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/17/3/7
http://arxiv.org/abs/0801.0287
No Lorentz violation

3) Idiot.
--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/lajos.htm#a2
Mark Earnest
2008-04-20 20:22:37 UTC
Post by Sanny
Ether is something present everywhere
Ether is the fluid like medium between heaven and earth,
which angels travel through by propelling angels' wings
there against.

It induces sleep, and whenever we sleep at night we
are part way into the ethereal plane.
tadchem
2008-04-21 01:51:04 UTC
On Apr 20, 4:22 pm, "Mark Earnest" <***@yahoo.com> wrote:
<snip>
Post by Mark Earnest
It induces sleep, and whenever we sleep at night we
are part way into the ethereal plane.
Didn't Wonder Woman fly around in one of those?

Tom Davidson
Richmond, VA
m***@gmail.com
2008-04-21 03:47:31 UTC
Post by Sanny
[...]
Einstein called it immaterial. Aether is massless.

Mitch Raemsch; falling light changes colour